Links

Booklist

Contact / Map | Priceline Tips

About Us

Home

Innovest Resource Management BBB Business Review

No, but...

March 02, 2012 10:50AM
The problem rests both in the law and in human nature.

As to the law, there is no statute or case law in CA preventing lease-back to an owner, whether month-to-month or longer.

There IS a big problem if a former owner-now-tenant believes that they can repurchase the property at a later time. Worse, if there is any documentation to support this, it can be construed as a Security Device and that may have to be foreclosed on judicially to clear title!

The real issue is, in my opinion, the human nature element. If I once owned the house and now I'm still living there, I usually think that I "own" it and want to receive all of the benefits of ownership. Of course, when you want to sell and cash in, the former owner now thnks that you're selling "their" house out from under their feet. It's their attachment that is really the big problem.

This being said, I have rented to families of former owners. This is how I do it: I have a rental/lease agreement with another family member or, better yet, a friend of the former owner, but NEVER the former owner themselves. This doesn't exactly solve the emotional attachment problem, however it is easier to get the tenants out when that day arrives.

RicktheProbateGuy.com | Closeprobate.com
Subject Author Views Posted

Should I rent back to the owner?

ocinvestor 3316 March 02, 2012 09:35AM

No, but...

Rick Harmon 2235 March 02, 2012 10:50AM

Re: No, but...

ocinvestor 2117 March 02, 2012 11:06AM

Re: No, but...

BTI 2138 March 16, 2012 10:34AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Information provided by this website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Please consult your investment advisor and/or attorney before entering into any transaction. Read our privacy policy.

Copyright © 1997-2024, InnoVest Resource Management
http://www.foreclosureforum.com

InnoVest Resource Management, 4569-A Mission Gorge Place, San Diego CA 92120-4112
(619) 283-5444, Fax (619) 283-5455