Links

Booklist

Contact / Map | Priceline Tips

About Us

Home

Innovest Resource Management BBB Business Review

Re: Abused by HOA. Need help!

November 14, 2011 11:43AM
Having been on both sides of this dilemma over the years, I can tell you that the root of the problem rests in the fact that HOA has business relationship with you, but not your tenant. Their prop mgmt company manages the HOA's relationship with you, not the tenant, for which they generakky have no contractual agreement.

You, of course, have both a written agreement (hopefully) with the tenant and certain obligatory duties as a landlord.

And there's the rub. you're the stakeholder. AKA, stuckee, unless you've anticipated this problem as a risk to avoid.

Many years ago, in my first rental house, (in an HOA) while my tenant was traveling one weekend the guest bath toilet overflowed and flooded the house. No real damage beyond carpet, which would have had another couple of years life left in it, My insurance agent, unlike a good neighbor, pointed out the "we don't cover flooding" clause.

The tenant, shrugging her shoulders, told me how unfortunate it was, but that it "wasn't her fault." Of course, not. They never think it is.

Had I had a clause in my lease form THEN that stated the water damage was the tenant's responsibilty, and required the tenant have insurance, I might have avoided flooded house lesson #103.

As for the HOA mgmt company, in a perfect world, they probably would respond better, but 'hey, he's a landlord and doesn't want to be bothered. And besides, he can afford these things.' And this is how some people get on HOA Boards.

BTW, did I ever tell you how much I love investing in notes?

RicktheProbateGuy.com | Closeprobate.com
Subject Author Views Posted

Abused by HOA. Need help!

murftone 3960 November 13, 2011 10:38PM

Rick Harmon 2808 November 14, 2011 11:43AM

murftone 2594 November 15, 2011 01:25PM

Dond 2609 November 16, 2011 04:40AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Information provided by this website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Please consult your investment advisor and/or attorney before entering into any transaction. Read our privacy policy.

Copyright © 1997-2024, InnoVest Resource Management
http://www.foreclosureforum.com

InnoVest Resource Management, 4569-A Mission Gorge Place, San Diego CA 92120-4112
(619) 283-5444, Fax (619) 283-5455