Booklist

Contact / Map | Priceline Tips

About Us

Home

Innovest Resource Management BBB Business Review

Significance of Priority of Recording and Legal Efficacy of a Judgment

March 08, 2016 09:15AM
Mattie
I plan to go to a Trustee Sale on a CA house. In researching the property I found a Judgment on the property. I am getting conflicting information. On one hand I hear that the Judgment will have to be paid off by me. On the other hand I read that a Judgment is against that person and not the property. Which answer is correct? Thank you so much.

=======

Mattie,

First off, a judgment is against both the judgment debtor personally, and if the judgment was recorded, it will also automatically attach to any property titled in the debtor's name that is located in the county where the judgment was also recorded. A debtor who has a recorded abstract of judgment against him cannot buy more property nor refinance or resell his current property in the county, until the debtor pays off the holder of the recorded AJ.

The way Trustee Sales work in CA is that the foreclosing lien wipes off title all subordinately-recorded liens against the property ...even an abstract of judgment (AJ). So it's important to know the recording priority between the foreclosing trust deed (TD) versus the recording priority of the recorded AJ. If the judgment was recorded before the foreclosing TD then it won't be extinguished by that foreclosure. However if the AJ was recorded after the trust deed then it will be wiped off title by the senior lien's foreclosure.

Another thing you should check out is the age of the AJ. If it's more than 10 years old, and a renewal of judgment hasn't been recorded, then it will be null and void and will have no legal impact on anything. So look at the face of the recorded judgment to find its "date of entry" and add ten more years to determine its current efficacy.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------Ward

==============================
Subject Author Views Posted

Trustee Sale with a Judgment

Mattie 4505 March 07, 2016 07:26PM

Re: Trustee Sale with a Judgment

Island Time 2746 March 07, 2016 11:36PM

Re: Trustee Sale with a Judgment

Mattie 2650 March 08, 2016 08:51PM

Significance of Priority of Recording and Legal Efficacy of a Judgment

Ward-CA 2928 March 08, 2016 09:15AM

Re: Significance of Priority of Recording and Legal Efficacy of a Judgment

AvoCarl 2450 August 28, 2016 02:40PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Information provided by this website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Please consult your investment advisor and/or attorney before entering into any transaction. Read our privacy policy.

Copyright © 1997-2024, InnoVest Resource Management
http://www.foreclosureforum.com

InnoVest Resource Management, 4569-A Mission Gorge Place, San Diego CA 92120-4112
(619) 283-5444, Fax (619) 283-5455